If you are just now finding out about Tesletter, you can subscribe here!
If you already know Tesletter and want to support us, check out our Patreon page 🙏
Issue 166 - Cabin camera updates
Super cool screens extracted directly from Tesla’s UI patent, some highlights:
- UI to attach a trailer, with the cameras as well as some aerial view of the car and the trailer
- Pitch and roll information directly on the screen
- Stove controls and temperature, for those with the camping add-on
- Map’s destination card
- Repeater image on the screen when towing and activating the turn signal
- Calendar, weather, and news all on the screen at the same time
- From the patent “Similarly, the representation 504 may include rocks, dips, inclines, and so on, of an off-road area surrounding the vehicle. In some embodiments, a drone may be stored in the vehicle. The drone may fly from the vehicle and perform a mapping operation of the surrounding terrain. For example, photogrammetry techniques may be used. This information may be provided to the vehicle, and used to render the representation”.
A while ago, Elon mentioned that a solar panel Tonneau cover could provide 15 miles/day. This week, Tesla filed for a parent that reveals that in fact, the Tonneau cover will be able to charge the truck: “Truck bed cover is in a closed position, it is configured to recharge the battery pack, the closed position of the truck bed cover enabling the plurality of solar electric cells to face a sun.”
Tesla started delivering the first vision only 3s and Ys and here are some interesting findings:
- The cabin camera is also used to detect if the driver is distracted while using Autopilot
- Autopilot hard limit is 75 for now
- You can’t disable auto high beams while on AP
- Summon and lane departure avoidance can’t be enabled at the moment
As we said above, Tesla’s firmware 2021.4.5.11 is now using the cabin camera to monitor the driver’s attention. In this video, the only new behavior happens when the driver is looking at his phone, the car is on Autopilot, and the car is close to other cars. When the driver was pretending to be asleep, looking through the window, or if cars weren’t around, they didn’t observe any difference in behavior.
In reply to a tweet by @jeremyjudkins, Elon hinted on Twitter that profiles for passengers may be coming soon. My wife and I switch driver and passenger roles pretty often, it would be awesome to get the passenger presets saved as well in addition to the driver ones!
Really cool to see another one of these! This one has handles that are the same color as the car, I don’t think I’ve seen that in any of the other prototypes spotted in the wild, I wonder if that is going to be an option.
APU for standard MCU operations and a GPU, that’s RDNA2 based for AAA games. Sweet.
Tesla value & Hardware updates
More patents published this week, in this one, Tesla’s chassis, with two single-piece casting parts for the front and rear, allows the battery to be placed in the middle. This simplifies production as well as safety. These improvements result in a 10% weight reduction, a 14% increase in range, a significant reduction in the number of parts, and the overall increased structural integrity of the vehicle.
Interesting article comparing the different models over time. It seems that the delays with the Model S refresh and the novelty of the Y are still holding those two pretty well. The article contains some pretty graphs as well as detailed information.
💡 Tip of the week
Drag the 'Navigate' box down or right: The car will automatically start the navigation to home. If you're at home, it takes you to work.
🤓 What the acronym?
As Tesla fan I find myself sometimes having to remember what are all those acronyms, here is a list of the ones you can find in this issue.
- AAA - In the video-game industry, AAA is an informal classification used to categorize games produced and distributed by a mid-sized or major publisher, which typically have higher development and marketing budgets than other tiers of games.
- AP - Autopilot
- APU - (AMD) Accelerated Processing Unit
- GPU - Graphics Processing Unit
- MCU - Media Control Unit
- UI - User Interface
Tesletter Supporters & Sponsors 🙏
If you enjoy Tesletter, please take a second to forward to your friends and share on social media
If you have any feedback please let me know by reaching out to [email protected]
Tesletter is put together by Ignacio
. We're really grateful for all the love and feedback we receive. Special thanks to our supporters
. If you like what we do, please consider supporting Tesletter. All the funds will go into making Tesletter more awesome.